Monday 13 August 2012

It could be worse..







So as my job search in the architecture field continues to bear no fruit I'm finding ways to dodge demoralisation. One such tactic I have employed is to be thankful I'm not stuck in a really crap job (this observation is the motivation for today's comic shown above.) that I hate.. I know a lot of people who work in environments they don't enjoy.. because they have to.

It's always been my fear that I would wind up being 'forced' into an occupation I don't like simply because I need the money.  I've never been hugely motivated by pure financial gain.  The big deal for me was always to be doing something I enjoyed.  I know it sounds cliché to say such a thing... and I have serious issue with that. The definition of a cliché in this context is that the phrase (however wise it may be) has become so over repeated that it has lost its original meaning and effect on people. I don't understand how this has happened.. this cannot be repeated enough! I do not want to spend the prime years of my life toiling in something my heart isn't in.

If it's within my power at all to carve out a career path that is self driven and independent I would be very happy. My ambition is to work as a freelance agent - designing beautiful images and writing entertaining and educational pieces of work that add value to a person's understanding and happiness.

The idea of a standard office job makes me sad, I've tried it for a year with wonderful people during my work experience and it was fine.. but I do not want it to be my life.  I want my work to bring about a personal connection with people around the world, be it through architectural design or a beautiful poem.

So yeah that vision has always been my motivation throughout the architecture degree and masters. Six years ago I don't think I'd ever had to spell the word recession! But my peers and I all learned about it rapidly, and soon enough my vision of the young solo architect faded into the dark shroud of an uncertain economic future..  I'm of course realistic but I do not want to become overly pessimistic! If the world is trying hard to defeat your ambitions why should you lend it a helping hand in bringing you down? Screw that.

Follow your ambitions people... cling to them and fight for them because nobody else will!


No comments:

Post a Comment